Monday, August 10, 2009

 

Agent Orange Day







First I saw a thin white veil
dropping from the sky
a smell
like guava
the white covered me

and I
could no longer see the forest

the fish rose up
to the top of the water
no longer
fish


the plants dried out
and were
no longer
there


I came home and this white cloud
this death
followed me

and my children

and my grandchildren


I no longer wish
for a future

what's left for tomorrow?


--Operation Ranch Hand


A poem dedicated to those afflicted with Agent Orange


Today was Agent Orange Day in Vietnam, a day set aside to remember the victims of the defoliant used during the Vietnam War. The chemical has effected thousands of people in Vietnam, causing severe health problems for those exposed and birth defects in their children and descendants. It has also effected many American and other vets who fought in Vietnam.

The center that I work at Lang Hoa Binh, works with those effected by Agent Orange as well as children with other disabilities. It is heartbreaking to see those effected by this terrible weapon.

Today at Peace Village we had some special activities to mark the occasion.The children were given some snacks and the classrooms were decorated by orange balloons, donated by a Korean insurance company. I had a special guest as well, my house mate Chris came out for a visit. The children love vistors and Chris was no exception. We all enjoyed forming Vietnamese words with the scrabble set and the kids, as usual were great teachers as well as students.

For further information on Agent Orange, you can look at these websites:


http://www.orangecarers.com/

Orange carers has visited Lang Hoa Binh!

http://www.veteransforamerica.org/our-programs/post-conflict-rehabilitation/vfas-programs-in-vietnam/

http://www.vn-agentorange.org/


















Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?